Facts/What You Should Know
Prescription drug abuse is more common than you think. In fact, prescription drug abuse is the fastest-growing drug problem in the United States.
- Most of the prescription drugs abused by teens come from family medicine cabinets and from friends.
- 1 out of 4 teens have used prescription drugs without a prescription before age 15.
- 4 out of 10 teens believe that using prescription medications without a doctor’s prescription is not dangerous.
In Vermont and New Hampshire:
- Regional YRBS data suggests that schools in Grafton, Sullivan, and Windsor Counties, 5%-12% of high school students report misusing prescription medications in the past 30 days.
- 30-40% of high school students in the above counties think it is not dangerous if someone their age uses prescription medication without a prescription.
Nationally 50% or more high school age youth think that getting medication [not prescribed to them] from a family member is OK.